Take on a Moon Observing Challenge from the Astronomical League. This activity challenges you to complete each of the following tasks:
- Do an outreach activity. This could be an International Observe the Moon Night event or any activity that encourages observing the Moon in general.
- Observe the Moon with just your eyes. No equipment is required.
- Estimate the Moon's percent illumination. Not illuminated at all would be 0%, half-illuminated would be 50%, and completely illuminated would be 100%.
- Make a sketch or capture an image of the Moon that includes at least ten of the features below. Indicate your chosen features on your sketch or image:
- Mare Crisium
- Mare Fecunditatis
- Mare Frigoris
- Mare Imbrium
- Mare Nectaris
- Mare Nubium
- Mare Serenitatis
- Mare Tranquillitatis
- Crater Copernicus
- Crater Tycho
- Crater Rays from Crater Copernicus
- The Woman in the Moon
For more information about this challenge, and to learn how to submit your sketch or image, visit the Astronomical League website.
Note: You may make your observation any time between October 15, 2021 and October 22, 2021. The deadline for submission is November 22, 2021. You do not need to be a member of the Astronomical League to participate in this challenge.